|Assistant General Manager|
|Haigh Rail - Operations|
|Preston with some UK travel|
|Up-to £30k per annum dependent upon experience plus benefits|
Haigh Rail is a rail and engineering business which, as a result of its continued success, is currently looking to recruit an Assistant General Manager to support the Managing Director in the day-to-day running of all company operations. This role will support the human resource function, whilst ensuring clients’ expectations are managed and exceeded.
The job also entails some administrative duties and assisting on the front and back lines when necessary. You will gain a 360-degree view of all aspects of the business and will be expected to be flexible in both attitude and with time due to the out-of-hours nature of a UK rail and engineering business.
Your role will be to free up the MD’s time from organising and administrative tasks so that they can spend maximum time on strategic tasks. This will include managing diaries and organising meetings and appointments and controlling access to the MD on a daily basis.
For the right candidate, this role will provide further future autonomy and in time it is expected that it will lead to a general manager position covering the entire business portfolio.
- Managing daily company operations to ensure positive, safe and profitable working environment
- Ensuring that employees follow the company standards, processes, policies and strategies and leading continuous improvement and development and assist in auditing of practices and systems
- Implementing quality and productivity objectives to achieve company goals and actively supporting and leading the auditing of processes for both HSE and quality procedures
- Managing direct reporting to MD related to operational, financial and performance of KPIs and implementing process improvement initiatives
- Coordinating with MD in recruiting, training, performance evaluation and development of employees
- Coordinating with MD in planning short- and long-term projects, budgets, expense controls, schedules, and manpower
- Developing and implementing staffing and business plans to achieve senior management’s business targets
- Supervising and investigating service level failure and non-conformances and addressing operational, technical and mechanical issues in a timely manner
- Developing positive working relationships within all areas of the company to ensure proper operational support and a team-focused approach
- Developing operational strategies and ensuring that the operational activities meet the organisational requirements
- Coordinating project scheduling; liaising with client’s and review and updating the project team
- Ensuring compliance within the company’s integrated management system and other associated systems, as well as overseeing and communicating financial compliance and KPIs
- Liaising with all clients daily, identifying and delivering customer support and representing and marketing the company, aiming to develop new business revenues
- Reviewing and communicating contractual and commercial problems, evaluating project progress and providing reporting/data analysis as required
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a strong desire to make a real and measurable difference to the company
- Be highly motivated
- Enjoy leading and be an effective people manager, demonstrating an ability to work in a team as a key member
- Have commercial and operational awareness
- Be client orientated
- Have good organisation and communication skills to support the project team in achieving structured targets and meeting deadlines
- Have a commercial understanding and appreciation of the importance of process and best practice
- Be a problem solver
- Be proactive and flexible
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Good understanding of quality systems, including but not limited to ISO9001
- Good PC skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint Outlook). CAD experience could also be advantageous
- Supportive qualifications in business management are an advantage
- At least three years of experience in a similar role
- Leadership and time-management skills
- Demonstrated customer and personal service skills
- Fit and healthy, available to work in an on-site capacity as well as in an office environment
- A clean driving licence is preferred as you’ll be expected to drive unhindered in company vehicles as required
Haigh Rail Limited was formed by Chris Haigh in 2011 to supply the highest quality multidisciplinary skills to the rail industry. Having seen a market opportunity for a fully mobilised company of rail specialists to perform a superior standard of workmanship than previously existed, Haigh Rail now offers a genuine value-for-money service for that marketplace.
Since inception, we’ve developed our business considerably. We offer diversity to our clients by way of several successful and complementary divisions operating across the rail, construction and engineering sectors.
Closing date for applications 30th November 2017.